Category

Home Built Before 1970’s?

According to a recent article in the Builder Review Daily, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has delayed enforcement of a rule that would require all remodelers to file for lead paint certification and take a required training course.  Although the rule became effective on April 22, the delay was a clear win for the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) who, amongst other things, opposed the rule based on the lack of training providers and education courses.

Workers will be required to continue their use of safe lead based paint removal practices.  Certification has been postponed to October 1, 2010, with a requisite that an approved course has been taken by December 31, 2010.  According to the NAHB, they will continue to fight in the regulatory arena.

Lead based paint is a leading cause of lead poisoning in children and in some adults.  In children, it can cause irreversible brain damage as well as retard mental and physical development.  Adults can suffer from lead poisoning by ingesting or inhaling lead dust as paint “chalks”, chips or peels.  Consumers living in homes with paint that was applied prior to the 1970’s should take advantage of local screening programs designed to detect harmful levels of lead within the body.

,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply